Effective June 30, 2013, Sun Tran launched the new SunGO fare payment system. SunGO utilizes smart card technology to provide a convenient way to pay a fare and transfer throughout the region on Sun Tran, Sun Express, Sun Shuttle and the Sun Link modern streetcar. The SunGO smart card serves as the fare payment card that can store cash value or passes for passenger convenience and boarding ease. Just tap the card to the farebox and go!
A smart card resembles a credit card in size and shape, but inside has a computer chip instead of a magnetic stripe. For transit, the smart card will serve as the fare payment card and can store cash value or passes.
Benefits of SunGO
Passengers can enjoy the following benefits:
- Single card to pay all fares
- More convenient purchasing options for all
- Balance protection for registered cards
- Faster boarding to keep buses on time!
- It’s Fast – Easy – Smart!
Register a Card
To realize the benefits of registration listed below, full fare passengers with a SunGO Card must create an account and register their card online at www.suntran.com/sungo. Economy fare passengers with a SunGO ID & Card are automatically registered at the time of issue from the Special Services office. SunGO Tickets cannot be registered.
Benefits of Registration
- Balance Protection – To protect the cash value and/or passes on a SunGO Card, we recommend registering your card. If a card is reported lost or stolen, Sun Tran can transfer the cash value or days remaining to a new card once one is purchased.
- One Ride Safety Net – Registered cardholders who board a bus without cash value or a valid pass on their card will be allowed one ride. Before the SunGO Card or SunGO ID & Card can be used gain, cash value to cover that one ride must be added, as well as cash value or a pass to cover the next ride.
- Auto Buy – Eliminates the need to track the cash value or days remaining on a SunGO Card or SunGO ID & Card. Registered cardholders can set up an account to automatically add value/pass through a secure funds transfer from a select credit or debit card on a regular basis. Auto Buy adds a predetermined cash value when the value on a card is depleted, or a new pass is added once the existing product is about to expire