Ride with Respect
Every day nearly 50,000 passengers share space on Sun Tran. Sun Tran has a responsibility to provide a safe, respectful and efficient trip, and we want you to enjoy a comfortable bus ride. Please do your part to help us create a pleasant experience for everyone. We ask that our passengers maintain a safe and respectful environment by following the rules below for buses, bus stops and transit centers.
Visit Sun Tran’s YouTube channel to watch our “That’s How We Roll” videos and learn how to Ride with Respect.
- Never run after a bus. Buses may not stop after they have pulled away from the curb. Buses stop ONLY at designated stops.
- After boarding, quickly take a seat in an orderly manner.
- If standing during your ride, grab on to a rail or seat back, and stay behind the white line.
- Listen to your coach operator. They're in the driver's seat.
- Never interfere with the driver's ability to drive safely.
- Keep your arms, head and hands inside the bus at all times.
- No loitering.
- No soliciting or panhandling.
- No abusive or threatening behavior toward others. No pushing, fighting or throwing objects.
- Except for service animals, pets must be enclosed in animal carriers like small cages or cardboard boxes. Service animals must be under control of their owner.
- Cover open wounds before boarding to ensure the safety of all passengers. Passengers may be refused service if blood or bodily fluid is visible.
- Shirt, pants and shoes are required.
- Pay the fare. Refusal to pay or fraudulent pament is a violation of City code.
- Be ready with a SunGO Card, SunGO ID & Card, ticket or exact change before you board. If using the GoTucson Transit App, activate your pass before boarding.
- All passengers must have a SunGO Card or SunGO ID & Card, even if paying cash, to receive a transfer. A transfer will load onto your SunGO card when tapped on the farebox.
- If paying with cash, first tell the driver if you’re paying “full fare” or “economy fare.”
– For full fare pay the correct cash amount first, then tap your valid SunGO Card to load a transfer.
– For economy fare you must have a valid SunGO ID & Card as proof of qualification for economy fare. Pay the correct cash amount, show ID to driver, then tap your card to load a transfer.
- Operators may deny boarding to anyone without a valid fare.
- Sharing your SunGO card or ticket with other riders is not allowed.
- SunGO cards and tickets with visible damage will not be accepted.
- No rude, abusive or vulgar language.
- No smoking or vaping including electronic cigarettes. Keep 20 feet from the bus or bus stop if you choose to smoke before boarding. Completely extinguish smoking materials before you board. Designated smoking areas are available at every transit center.
- Offer your seat to elderly, disabled and pregnant passengers. Seats in the front of the bus are reserved for these passengers.
- Occupy one seat, keep feet on the floor, and place bags and belongings in your lap.
- Mobility devices must be free of excessive bags.
- Use a reasonable volume while talking on your cell phone or with other passengers.
- Use headphones when listening to music.
- Service may be denied if a rider’s hygiene is offensive to others.
- No eating on the bus and no drinks in uncovered containers. Keep food and drinks in closed containers.
- No alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs.
- Do not litter or create unsanitary conditions. Take your trash with you.
- Do not damage transit property. Do not write, paint or destroy any bus, bus property or bus stop.
- No hazardous or illegal items.
- Gasoline-powered (GP) bicycles, GP scooters and GP skateboards are not allowed on the bus or bike rack.
- Vehicle batteries and gas containers are not allowed on board.
- Folding bicycles, human-powered and motorized skateboards can be brought on board, but must be kept out of the aisle. Secure all other bicycles on the bike rack.
- Baby strollers cannot block the aisle and should be collapsed, if possible. Please remove your children from strollers prior to boarding, fold the stroller and keep it out of the aisle.
- Other prohibited items include shopping carts, furniture dollies (upright or horizontal), wagons, and multiple large bags or garbage bags. ONLY shopping carts less than 37 inches in height are allowed.