Public Transit - Requests for Reasonable Modification Policy
Introduction: Per the Americans with Disabilities Act, regional transit providers who receive federal financial assistance are committed to responding to requests for reasonable modifications of their policies, practices, or procedures.
Requesting a Reasonable Modification
- Individuals requesting modifications shall describe what they need in order to use the service.
- Individuals requesting modifications are not required to use the term “reasonable modification” when making a request.
- Whenever feasible, requests for modifications shall be made and determined in advance, before the transportation provider is expected to provide the modified service.
- Where a request for modification can practicably be made and determined in advance, operating personnel of the entity shall make a determination of whether the modification should be provided at the time of the request. Operating personnel may consult with the entity’s management before making a determination to grant or deny the request.
If an individual requests a modification of sub-recipient’s and/or contractor’s policies and practices the request may be denied only on one or more of the following grounds:
- Granting the request would fundamentally alter the nature of the entity’s services, programs, or activities;
- Granting the request would create a direct threat to the health or safety of others;
- Without the requested modification, the individual with a disability is able to fully use the entity’s services, programs, or activities for their intended purpose.
An individual, who has requested a reasonable modification of a transit entity’s policies, practices, or procedures and have been denied such, may file a complaint.
- To download a complaint form, click here.
- Individuals who do not have access to a computer can call Sun Tran’s Customer Service Center at 792-9222 and request a “ADA Reasonable Modification Complaint Form” and have one sent to them via U.S. Mail.
Notice: The ADA Reasonable Modification Complaint Form contains the address, telephone number, and e-mail address pursuant to any questions regarding an ADA Reasonable Modification Complaint.