The ability to travel is important to everyone, so all Sun Tran buses offer accessibility features for any rider requesting the service.
- All Sun Tran buses are equipped with lifts or ramps for boarding ease.
- Buses "kneel" to make boarding more convenient.
- Each bus can carry a minimum of two personal mobility devices.
- Sun Tran buses have annunciators that announce major bus stops, cross streets and transfer locations.
Wheelchair & Scooter
The U.S. Department of Transportation Regulations 49 CFR Parts 37 and 38 governs “Transportation Services for Individuals with Disabilities” and “ADA Specifications for Transportation Vehicles”.
What is a “wheelchair”?
As defined by the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) Regulation:
“Wheelchair means a mobility aid belonging to any class of three or more wheeled devices, usable indoors, designed or modified for and used by individuals with mobility impairments, whether operated manually or powered.”
All Sun Tran vehicles are built and maintained in adherence with all USDOT regulations, and can transport all wheelchairs regardless of size or weight as long as the lift and vehicle can physically accommodate them.
Sun Tran operates some buses with ramps and others with lifts.
Please call Sun Tran’s Customer Service Center for details at (520) 792-9222 (TDD: 628-1565).
Only Segways being used as a mobility device by individuals with disabilities are allowed on Sun Tran. Those who wish to board Sun Tran with a Segway need to meet eligibility requirements established by the City of Tucson ADA Paratransit Eligibility Office, (520) 791-5409. Individuals meeting the requirement will be issued an ID card that states, "Segway Approved." This ID must be presented upon boarding. To safely secure a Segway, the use of at least two 15-inch securement loops is recommended, but three loops are preferred. Training on how to board and secure a Segway device is recommended before boarding a bus in service, and may be provided by contacting Sun Tran at (520) 792-9222.
- Plan to arrive at the bus stop at least five minutes early. Be sure you are inside the bus shelter or near the bus stop so the driver can see you.
- If you require the use of the lift or ramp, please stay about eight feet away from the bus so that the lift or ramp can be lowered safely.
- If you need the kneeler, please let your coach operator know.
- To avoid turning around in the securement bay, you may find it easier to board by backing your device onto the lift.
- Please turn off mechanized devices and lock the wheels while on the bus lift and again once you are safely secured.
- If visually impaired, upon boarding we encourage you to inform the coach operator which bus stop you need.
- Sun Tran requires all mobility devices to be secured using a three-point securement. The coach operator will either secure your mobility device or ensure that you have secured it properly with the minimum three securement points. The mobility device must not move more than two inches in any direction. To obtain securement straps for your mobility device, please call customer service at (520) 792-9222.
- The bus is equipped with lap belts and shoulder harnesses, and your are strongly encouraged to use them. These restraints help prevent injuries. Should the driver be forced to make a sudden stop, failure to use these restraints may result in your ejection from the mobility device, causing yourself injury. If you want assistance in using these restraints, please ask the driver.
- To alert the coach operator that you want to exit the bus, approximately one block before you'd like to get off, press the tape or pull the cord located near you along the windows.
- When the bus comes to a stop, you may want to allow other passengers to exit first so the aisle will be free for you to maneuver.
- The coach operator will release the securement straps and guide you to the door.
Sun Van's paratransit service is available to ADA eligible residents.